Sunday, December 31, 2017

Happy New Year!

Another year is in the books!  Well, in my last post, I made a resolution to pick up my guitar and play something everyday in 2017.  I was able to do that...for about a month!  After about a month, I did play on and off (mostly off) throughout the year, but it mostly consisted of me picking up my little old nylon acoustic that I have by my recliner and playing a riff or two for a few minutes.  That's not what I had in mind when I made my resolution, but I guess it's better than nothing!

The good news is that I might have more of an incentive to play more in 2018...I might have a jamming partner!  My son started getting interested in playing his guitar a few months ago.  

Years ago, I bought him a Squier Strat through Craigslist, hoping that someday he would want to play guitar.  There is a post on here where I mentioned buying him a guitar, complete with the picture of the Squier, so look for the Squier and check it out if you are interested.

Anyway, he started picking up his guitar and trying to play, but he found the body sort of big and uncomfortable to play, especially sitting down.  I let him play my Gibson Melody Maker Flying V and he found that to be more comfortable.  So, we started looking for a guitar with a similar shape (without the curves of a Strat).  We found a Dean z in excellent condition on Craigslist, so I bought it for him.

The next step was to get him an amp. I had given him my first little amp that I got with my first electric guitar, but it was only really designed to play clean, and my son likes metal and alternative stuff. Luckily, I was able to get him a surprisingly good, inexpensive amp online.

Now that he was set up with a new guitar and amp, we went to get him a guitar strap for his Dean.  He saw the basses in the music store and decided to try out some of them (a lot of the music he listen to has some pretty cool bass runs). Well, that was all it took, he was hooked on the bass! I couldn't afford the basses at the music store, but I was able to get him an Ibanez bass from one of the online music stores.


So, the bass came in on the Saturday before Christmas, but we couldn't get it out of the Post Office until December 26th (no weekend service in our rural post office). Anyway, now my son has been playing all three guitars (he got used to the Squier) non-stop since he got his bass.  We've already started playing together (we've got a lot to learn about jamming!), so maybe by the time I post again, we'll have a little duo going!  We'll see!  In the meantime, I wish everyone a Happy 2018!




No comments:

Post a Comment