Saturday, June 22, 2013

Surprise!

After almost a year since my last post, I decided to post again.  I've been very busy with work, so I haven't made time to post here.  I haven't even made much time to play my guitars!  I'm trying to work on playing more and learning more.

As far as gear goes, I haven't been as active as
in the past, but I did manage to buy an older solid state amp late last year.  I had been wanting an old fashioned amp with all the knobs instead of the newer, computer interfaced stuff that is out there now.  I had also wanted some sort of external cab for my little Champ 600 tube amp.  I found both of those things in one package!  I bought an older, USA-made Crate G-120C stereo chorus amp.  I found it locally and at a very good price.  It is more amp than I need, really, but when I saw that the speaker connections were not hard-wired and that I could disconnect the speakers from the amp and connect them to something else, I had to buy it.  It turned out that each speaker was 4 ohms, just like the speaker in my Champ, so it was a perfect fit.  So now, I have a very nice (big and loud) solid state amp, plus I can use it as a cab for my Champ!  I've only used it with my Champ a few times, and it sounds great.  I mostly use it as is.  I grew really fond of the way it sounds and the versatility it provides.

As mentioned, it is a stereo chorus amp, but it also has reverb and a bright switch which work with both the clean and distortion channels.  The clean channel has a low, mid, and high EQ and the distortion channel has a "shape" control for adjusting the tone.  The amp also has an effects loop and a headphone jack.  The effects loop makes more noise than I like, so if I want to add an effect, I just add it between the guitar and the amp and it works great.  The headphone feature is very nice also.

It's funny, but now that I bought this amp, I feel my gear needs have been satisfied.  I have my different guitars, a good overdrive and a good distortion pedal, and some multi-effects units, and now I have one amp of each kind:  a tube amp, a modeling amp, and a basic solid state amp (plus I can use it as a cab for my tube amp).  So, I'm a happy camper!  Let's see if I can make more time to play more often now (and to post more often too).  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment